Wednesday, November 16, 2011

NYU Blackboard in Teaching and Learning

As an undergraduate, I studied business administration at University of Costa Rica from 2004-2007. That was not that long ago, and I remember that we did not have access to a web tool like NYU Blackboard. We communicated with teachers through email once a semester, and that was it. Personal interactions defined the teaching and learning process. 

Today, my experience is different. I believe Blackboard is an amazing tool for teaching and learning because it provides an effective communication. Teachers and students can build a dialogue based on rich knowledge. The discussion board, for example, provides a space for students to write their critical thoughts about a specific subject, and teachers can reply with their comments. Assessment is another advantage of NYU Blackboard, and it take place in different forms: teacher assessment, peer assessment, and self-assessment. Comments, grades, and videos are some ways feedback can be exchanged. Blackboard is easy to access, and it is available anytime and anywhere you have Internet. So you do not need to meet with people, saving yourself resources in terms of money and time.

However, there are a few aspects that I dislike about Blackboard. First of all, you have to log in and access your account in order to read new input. You do not get notified on other people's comments, unless someone send you an email. Therefore, you might find out important news too late. The other thing I believe is a disadvantage is that personal interaction is more valuable to enhance teaching and learning processes. Interaction creates richer and more valuable experiences with a stronger impact in both processes. 

I really believe that having NYU Blackboard has made my college career more effective than my undergraduate experience, but I would not say that I have learn more than in my previous experience. Blackboard is a valuable tool, but it would never replace the richness of teaching and learning in a good class.



 Image retrieved from http://www.corbisimages.com/Search#p=3&q=classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment